Soil Scientist


A soil scientist is a professional licensed in the practice of soil science, which is the study of soil as a natural resource on the surface of the Earth including soil formation, classification and mapping; physical, chemical, biological, and fertility properties of soils; and these properties in relation to the use and management of soils.



To be eligible for a certificate of licensure as a professional soil scientist, an applicant shall:

(1) Be a graduate of an accredited college or university with a bachelor of science degree or higher in soils, agronomy or a closely related field, with successfully completion of 15 hours of course work in soil science;

(2) Have at least 3 years of soil science professional experience. Any combination of the following kinds of education and experience qualify toward accumulating the required 3 years:
(A) Masters of science degree in soils, agronomy or a closely related field and 2 years professional experience;
(B) Doctor of philosophy degree in soils, agronomy or a closely related field and 1 year professional experience; or
(C) Each year of teaching or soil science research by persons teaching upper-level soil science courses at the college level; provided, that teaching or research can be demonstrated to be of a sufficiently responsible nature to be equivalent to a year of professional experience; and

(3) Have successfully passed the examinations.


Application and Initial License:  $400
Renewal Fee for Active License:  $400
Renewal Fee for Inactive License:  $200
Inactive to Retirement Status:  $25
Reinstatement to Active Status:  $25
Late Renewal Penalty:  $25
Duplicate License:  $25


You are required to submit the following with your application to practice as Professional Soil Scientist in Tennessee:

1.  A $400 application/licensure fee

2.  A certified copy of college transcripts, along with a course reporting form

3.  Current employment information

4.  Sole proprietorships, partnerships and corporations form

5.  Out of state verification of licensure/examination form if licensed in another state

Examination information can be found here.