Credit Services Business
Need More Info?
(Note: To apply with CORE - Under Choose Board select Debt Management Services, under Choose Activity select Initial Application Credit Services.)
Credit services business means any person who, with respect to the extension of credit by others, sells, provides, or performs, or represents that such person can or will sell, provide, or perform any of the following services in return for the payment of money or other valuable consideration:
- Improving a consumer’s credit record, history, or rating;
- Obtaining an extension of credit for a consumer; or
- Providing advice or assistance to a consumer with regard to either of these.
Any business engaging in Credit Service Business as defined in TCA 47-18-1001 et seq. must register with the Division of Regulatory Boards, and post a bond of $100,000 dollars with the Department of Commerce and Insurance to be filed along with registration in CORE and fee in the Division of Regulatory Boards. The bond can be made through a deposit of cash, a certificate of deposit, securities, or with a bond issued by a corporate surety acceptable to the Commissioner.
Additionally, a copy of the current client contract should be provided for the Division of Regulatory Boards file. If your contract does not give a full list of fees that may be assessed, when they will be assessed, and the services they cover, please attach a fee schedule with that information to your registration in CORE. Under Choose Board select Debt Management Services, under Choose Activity select Initial Application Credit Services.
$50 Registration Fee
None, if no changes. Any change in ownership or Bond requires a new Initial application.
Credit Repair Helpful Links:
- Accessing my Credit File and my Credit Report
- Bankruptcy and Credit Improvement
- Improving Your Credit the Right Way
- No Quick Fix
- Debt Adjusting Companies and Credit Services Businesses
- Debt Management Plans
- Credit Services Bond form
- Credit Services merged with Debt Management effective 7/1/2021
Grace period is sixty (60) days, after that a new Initial application is required.
There is no reinstatement. Once expired, a new Initial application is required with all supporting documentation and a $50 fee.